Midwestern Perennials for a Springtime Harvest

Perennial edibles that can be grown in the Midwest - garden zone 5 | Edible Opinions

Forever I am jealous of those of you living in the tropics. Not for the weather, for the endless edible perennials.

I have probably seen too many Jake Mace videos where a papaya seed tossed in the compost will sprout overnight and seven months later he's harvesting a bushel of papayas. But I love the idea of trees fruiting anything from coconuts to avocados. I want year round runner beans and chayote vines.

But even in zone 5 there are plenty of options for plants that will give you an edible harvest year after year. To me, perennial gardening is the way of the future. Not only is it better for the soil, but it's much less work than replanting everything each spring. Spend one day planting these and you'll reap a harvest for years to come.

These are the perennials in my yard that are ready to eat right now.

We have:

Rhubarb.
Spring onions.
Fiddleheads.
Thyme.
Lemon balm.
Violets.
Asparagus.
Lilacs.

All edible. All easy. All perennial.

Comments

Popular Posts